Sunday, July 14, 2013

Short Story: Ceremony

Last edited: 3/20/2012


“We’re almost there, Anye,” my father said.  “Just a few more miles.”  I smiled, his encouraging words giving me a renewed vigor.  I quickly covered the distance between the two of us, making sure to stay close to him.
            
He looked down at me and smiled, releasing a nostalgic sigh.  “My little girl’s grown so much.”  And it was true.  I had.  And now I was on my way up the mountain, dressed in my finest dress, done up as nicely as possible.  It had taken me the entire day to prepare.  “And now it’s finally time for your ceremony,” he said, staring off into the distance as we walked.  “I’m proud of you, Anye.”
             
“Stop it, Daddy!  You don’t need to flatter me like that!”  I laughed and threw my arms around him, making sure not to slow him down.  After all, we had to reach the top of the mountain before dark.  Night was falling, the sun’s faltering rays painting a beautiful mural of pinks and oranges and blues across the clouds.  The air was calm, and the dusty upwards trail felt warm against my bare feet.  I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect evening for the ceremony.
            
My father fell silent, slightly increasing his pace.  I sped up with him, clutching his arm tightly.  The effort winded me a bit, but I was too excited to ask him to slow down.  In fact, I would have sped up.  But that would hardly do.  This was a ceremony of great importance.  It wouldn’t do to start running up the path like a child.  Besides, any faster, and I would exhaust myself.  Through it all, though, my father’s breathing remained slow and calm.  He was in such control of himself.  It impressed me.  Even though I knew he was as nervous as I was, he still had such control over himself.
            
My restraint was not as strong.  As we neared the summit, I broke away, tugging at his arm, pulling him faster towards the peak.  “Come on, Daddy, we’re almost there!”  He smiled wistfully, resisting my towing for just a few moments before caving and running with me to the top.  We both arrived breathless and laughing on the small plateau, carved into a slight bowl by those who had come before.  I paused, my anxiousness giving way long enough to remember a lifelong dream.
            
“I want to see them, Daddy,” I told my father.  “I want to see the lights.  Would you…would you cover my eyes and lead me to the edge?  He smiled and nodded, placing his hands over my eyes and slowly leading me to a distance he deemed acceptable.  “Go ahead, Anye,” he whispered, removing his hands.  “Open them.”  My eyelids shot open, taking them in for the first time.  The entire town, gathered at the foot of the mountain, a candle in every hand.  It was beautiful, that flickering sea of gold beneath me.  Better than I had dreamed.
             
After a minute, I felt hands on the back of my head as my father started placing wild mountain flowers in my hair as I stood looking at the lights below.  He had never been an expert at weaving them in, but he had practiced on my younger sister the entire day in preparation for the ceremony, and they held fast.  “Happy birthday, Anye,” he said quietly.  “Tonight marks the seventeenth year since your birth.”  Then, with a glance to the side at the setting sun, “It’s almost time.”
             
I nodded, closing my eyes and taking one last deep breath.  “I’m ready.  And, um….”  I hesitated, my nerves getting the best of me.  “Thank you, Daddy.  For everything.”
            
He smiled, leading me over to the pillar in the bowl’s center, gently fastening the metal cuffs around my wrist.  “It has been an honor having you as a daughter, Anye.”  With that, he fastened the final latch and kissed my forehead before stepping back.
             
I turned my head, looking towards the horizon, where I watched the suns final rays wane into darkness.  I took a deep breath, closing my eyes and counting to myself.  One.  Two.  Three.  Silence.
            
And then, the night erupted, a jet of azure flaring up where the sun had set.  Tiny sprites of light raced across the night sky, weaving and intertwining with each other.  The crowd below gasped as one.  I had been below in the past.  I knew that some averted their eyes, but it didn’t matter.  They couldn’t see me at this distance anyway.
            
The lights came closer and closer, circling the pillar in a dance, the sort of dance you can only perform when you don’t have the physical limitations of a body to slow you down.  The lights twisted, spiraling and turning, before descending to where I stood in awe, chained to the pillar.
            
 As the light entered my body, casting a burning blue aura around me visible from the foot of the mountain, I was struck with a sensation of a pure, indescribable euphoria.  This is what it felt like, I knew.  This is what it felt like to be one of them.  They whispered to my mind, calming, soothing thoughts without words.  All their thought, all their presence, all their being poured into me.  And for one second—just one beautiful second, I knew that I was one of them.
             
Then they withdrew.  They left as quickly as they had come, pulling all they had given me with them.  As the strength left my body and my eyes slowly closed, I managed a smile, grateful that they had chosen me for the ceremony.  A final thought crossed my mind as I died, tugging my mouth into a permanent smile.
            
 I was at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment